- About the Ridge 2000 Data Portal
- Available Data
- Data Access
- Data Policy
- Data Portal Documents
- Science & Site Implementation Plans
- Reports & Papers
The Ridge 2000 Data Portal was established in fall 2003 in response to a program call for a dedicated data system to facilitate open and timely exchange of data in support of the interdisciplinary science goals of the program. The Data Portal has been built with the primary goal of providing full cataloging, open access, and long-term preservation of data collected during R2K programs. The backbone of the system is an expedition metadata catalog, which provides information on field programs (who, what, when and where), inventories of sensor data and samples, relevant metadata and the links to the primary data files which reside either within the Data Portal or at distributed repositories. Processed and derived data products are also served as contributed. The system is designed to leverage all relevant existing data resources and provides a framework for a broader distributed data system.
Cruise and data acquisition information, navigation and the majority of shipboard field data from all R2K-funded cruises conducted at all Integrated Study Sites are available through the Data Portal. Partial to complete cruise information, navigation, and field data from ~100 cruises, which pre-date the R2K program can also be accessed. Data submitted from these cruises include bathymetry, sidescan, seismic reflection data, earthquake catalogs, water column MAPR, CTD, and ADCP data, fluid chemistry data, temperature probe data, biological species lists, Alvin and Jason navigation and remote access to bottom photography, and towed camera system navigation and images, rock, fluid, sediment and biological sampling information as well as instrument deployment and recovery information. As the R2K program moves from the data acquisition phase to synthesis and integration, more processed and derived data products are now discoverable through the Data Portal. Examples include bathymetric grids, genetic sequences, and geochemical data sets served by PetDB.To find Ridge 2000 data, please visit the search page, here.
To accommodate the different needs of scientists for accessing data, two data access tools have been developed; a text-based search tool (browser based) for researchers wanting, for example, to find specific data sets of interest or all data from a cruise or region; and a client-side graphical application, GeoMapApp, to visualize and explore data holdings in a map interface. For each of the ISS, users can visualize available sonar datasets (multi-resolution multibeam, side-scan), Alvin and Jason 2 tracks and near bottom images, as well as samples and stations from all R2K funded programs. The Data Portal is adopting standards compliant web services to serve data holdings in order to provide users with greater flexibility to use the data visualization and analysis tool of their choice (e.g. ArcGIS, NASA World Wind, Google Earth). The Ridge 2000 Data Portal has been developed in parallel with the MARGINS Data Portal, as part of the Marine Geoscience Data System. Tools and services for accessing data are common across the system.
Left panel: Example of using GeoMapApp to access high resolution bathymetry data from the Mariner Vent Field, Lau Basin along with near bottom photos collected with Jason 2 during cruise TUIM05MV led by Meg Tivey. Right panel: KML files for accessing data using Google Earth are also available through the Data Portal. In the example shown, a photomosaic from the Kilo Moana Vent Field collected with Jason 2 by Chuck Fisher during TUIM07MV is overlain on high resolution bathymetry from TUIM05MV.
- NSF Proposal for RIDGE 2000 Open Data Exchange System
- NSF Award Abstract - #0328117 RIDGE 2000 Open Data Exchange System
- R2K/MARGINS Data Management NSF Renewal Project Summary
- Ferrini, V. (2008). MGDS Media Bank, in InterRidge Newsletter #17.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Update from Ridge 2000 Data Portal, November 2008, Ridge 2000 Steering Committee Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Using the Ridge 2000 Data Portal for Integration and Synthesis. Ridge 2000 East Pacific Rise ISS Integration and Synthesis Workshop, Cotuit, MA.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Marine Geoscience Data System: Ridge 2000 Data Portal. Ridge 2000 Endeavour ISS Integration and Synthesis Workshop, Seattle, WA.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Marine Geoscience Data System: Ridge 2000 Data Portal. Ridge 2000 Lau ISS Integration and Synthesis Workshop, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Marine Geoscience Data System: Overview. Legacy of Ocean Exploration (LOE) Meeting, Palisades, NY.
- Ferrini, V. and the Ridge 2000 Database team (2008). Ridge 2000 Database Report, in Ridge 2000 Events: Newsletter of the Ridge 2000 Program.
- Ferrini, V. (2008). Ridge 2000 Media Bank, in Ridge 2000 Events: Newsletter of the Ridge 2000 Program.
- Carbotte S.M. and V.L. Ferrini (2007). R2K Database Report in Ridge 2000 Events: Newsletter of the Ridge 2000 Program.
- Carbotte, S., D. Chayes, W. Ryan, R. Arko, W. Haxby, K. Lehnert, S. O’Hara, T. Shank, M. Tolstoy (2005). Status Report on the Ridge 2000 Data Management System in Ridge 2000 Events: Newsletter of the Ridge 2000 Program.
- Carbotte, S.M., R.Arko, D.N. Chayes, W. Haxby, K. Lehnert, S. O’Hara, W.B.F. Ryan, and R.A. Weissel, T. Shipley, L. Gahagan, K. Johnson, and T. Shank. New Integrated Data Management System for Ridge2000 and MARGINS Research, Eos ,Vol. 85, No. 51, 21 December 2004